Skip to main content

The Heroes of Olympus//Series Review

*Disclaimer/Apology*
Sorry for not posting any new blog posts for quite sometime, I’ll try to not do this sort of infrequent posting thing again. If you want any new content from me or reading updates. You can follow me on Instagram (@themostlybookishblog). Because I’m much more active on those platforms.

With that out of the way; last time I posted something on this blog it was a review of the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. At the end of that post I mentioned that I was going to review the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. 
So, without dragging this out any longer than it needs to be. This is my individual reviews for each book in the series. 

                         The Lost Hero
The first book in this series is actually one of my least favourite books in the series and one of my least favourite books from Rick Riordan. The book had a plot issue the characters would do something big (in terms of plot progression) and then the book would change perspective and that character would be doing something different and they would only learn what happened much later on. Resulting in a plot that feels meandering and making the book feel long in my opinion. Other issues that I had with this book was the the amount of exposition & the main characters. I like them in the later in the series but in this first book I found them annoying.
Rating: 2/5

               The Son of Neptune
This was a huge step-up from the first book, in the sense that the problems that featured in the first book was pretty much nonexistent in the second book; and petty much the rest of the series. I liked the trio of characters that lead this book, their arcs were some best out of all the characters. Where the first book had a problem with plot progression, the second book flowed nicely; and instead of the perspective changing every chapter, the perspective changes every 4 chapters. Definitely one of my favourite in the series.
Rating: 4/5

                The Mark of Athena
There wasn’t much I liked or disliked about this book, it was just a enjoyable read for me. The part I hear most people talk about is the ending scene (that had Percy & Annabeth hanging on the edge of Tartaraus) honestly, it was surprising, but I was spoiled for the ending by just being on book Instagram.
Rating: 3/5

                 The House of Hades
This is by far my favourite book in the series. It had all the best elements of a Rick Riordan book; love-able characters, an enticing plot, and mythology. There really isn’t anything wrong with this book, I loved it.
Rating: 4.75/5

                The Blood of Olympus
The last book was really good, but it had its faults. The way the characters arcs concluded was so nice. I liked the last third of this book was very enjoyable - though I have a problem with it. In my opinion the final battle with Gaea was resolved too quickly, especially seeing as there was so much built-up to that battle. I guess I expected abit more from the battle. Although the ending was satisfying. And I loved how the series began and ended with the first trio of characters (Jason, Piper, Leo). 
Rating: 4.5/5

Overall Thoughts: I’d highly recommend anyone who has read the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series to read the Heroes of Olympus series. The characters are just as good as before if not better. The plots get more dense, and there’s alot more of mythological elements than in the first series. And you get to see some characters from PJO get more development. 

**Also this is my favourite line in all of the series 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scythe by Neal Shusterman// Book Review

(This Review might contain Spoilers :)  I  recently finished Scythe by Neal Shusterman, and may I just say I loved it. It had plot twists that I never could have guessed, I was shocked almost all the way to the end. Scythe is one of those books that once you start reading all you want to do is to see how the book will eventually wrap-up - and may I just say I liked the ending plot-twist. Something that I really appreciated within this book was the writing style Neal Shusterman used, it's really easy going/straight to the point and isn't very prose heavy - which helps people like me who can lose interest easily. Now with all of that said this would be an otherwise 3 star book for me. But I think what pushed this over towards a 4 star book was the world, concept & execution of the concept. The utopian setting of the book feels somewhat unique & tangible.  RATING : 4/5 stars  

The books I had to read for my Grade 12 English class + MY THOUGHTS ON 'The Tragedy of Macbeth'

Author's Note Hey guys, this post will be posted sometime within January/Febuary of 2022 but parts of this post I'd initially started writing as far back as August 2020. Amist both my Matric year(arguably my most stressful schooling year I've had thus far) and amist the shifting lockdown restrictions happening in the world and the ever increasing number of Covid-19 cases - and witnessing friends and relatives of mine falling ill (and eventually me included). When I first started writing this post I wasn't sure whether or not it would ever get posted, there was even a time during 2021 when I decided to go completely off the grid - nearly deleted this blog as well... but something stopped me... thinking about this blog and just how cathartic these posts are for me, I guess that stopped me (ofcourse now I'm back on most social media again). I'm not saying any of this for you to pity me, I'm merely saying this for you to get a glimpse into my thought process. So

Quick Fire Reviews II ⏱️🔥

So for this second installment of quick fire reviews I'm going to be reviewing the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series seeing as I recently reread the series.                    The Lightning Theif: The book follows a 12 year old boy named Percy Jackson, who discovers that everything in greek mythology is still around in the modern world. He then learns that his father is the Greek God, Poseidon, which means that his a demigod (half human, half Greek god). He is accused of stealing the master lighting bolt from Zeus and then has to go on a quest to right those wrongs.  This is the best way I could think of making Mythology sound interesting to kids. And the jokes still managed to make me smile.   Rating: 5/5                The Sea of Monsters: This was and quite frankly still is my least favourite book within the PJO series. It had some foreshadowing to later books but besides that, it wasn't enough to really keep my attention all the way through. I